Oregon Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations

           Select another state

Quick Facts:

  • Due to mercury concerns, recycling fluorescent bulbs is highly recommended by the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality and is required for many facilities throughout the state
  • Crushing fluorescent bulbs is allowed in Oregon
  • Prepaid bulb recycling by mail is allowed in Oregon

Recycling Options Available in Oregon:

The Bulb Eater

Crushes fluorescent lamps of any size while removing mercury vapors. Reduces labor, recycling costs, and storage vs. packing lamps

EasyPak Recycling Containers

Fill up containers with bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste at your own pace and mail back via prepaid shipping

Bulk Recycling Pickups

For larger amounts of bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste. Trucks come pick up waste at your location for recycling




Questions about recycling in your state? Contact us for more information.

Detailed Oregon Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations  

The stringency chart below provides examples of state regulations compared to the EPA regulations.
We strongly recommend that you discuss stringency with your primary state regulatory contact. This information should not be interpreted as definitive legal guidance. This document was produced in June 2004, and we do not guarantee its accuracy after that date, as state policies may change at any time.

("same" means the state policy is the same as the federal policy)

Confused about terminology (CESQG, UW, TCLP, etc.)? Refer to this glossary for help.

("same" means the state policy is the same as the federal policy)

Jurisdiction Generator Exemption
Where can waste from CESQG go?
Can the waste be declared non- hazardous, based on TCLP? Other stringency or exemptions?
Federal EPA Generators producing less than 100 kg (220 pounds) of hazardous waste (HW) or 1 kg acute HW in each month, including all HW generated. CESQGs are exempt from federal rules, but not exempt from liability (40 CFR 261.5) Waste may go to any Municipal Solid Waste Landfill (MSWLF) Wastes that test less than 0.2mg/l soluble mercury are not considered hazardous under federal rules. Crushing can only be done by generator (40 CFR 262.34); crushed waste that is not UW- must be managed as RCRA HW. Crushing not allowed within federal UWR, but may be within State UW regulations. No one may crush third-party lamps without treatment authorization [1]. No mobile treatment units.
Oregon same Waste may go to MSWLF if there is no local ban on lamp disposal same same

State Regulatory Contacts

Primary Contact Title Agency Address Phone E-Mail
Rick Volpel Hazardous Waste Specialist Department of Environmental Quality (503) 229-6753 volpel.rick@deq.state.or.us
Address P.O. Box City Zip Code  
811 SW 6th Ave, 9th Floor   Portland 97204-1390  
Secondary Contact Title Phone Area of Responsibility
Jeff Bickford Senior Environmental Engineer (503) 588-5169 Lamp collection program in Salem/Marion County
  Hazardous Waste Main Number (503) 229-5913 or 800-452-4011  

More Resources

Guidance Paper (PDF) http://www.deq.state.or.us/lq/pubs/factsheets/hw/LampsBallasts.pdf
Oregon Department of Environmental Quality Home Page http://www.deq.state.or.us/